The Christmas Church in Khrokhino
Belozerskiy district of Vologda region
About the Project
The church of Nativity of Christ
The church of Nativity of Christ was built in the end of 18th century (approximately in 1790) in Krokhino settlement (Belozerskiy district of Vologda region). The church was located at the water’s edge on the coast of lake Beloye (White lake), at the origin of the Sheksna river. A lot of Krokhino inhabitants were engaged in serving ships on the Belozerskiy canal (White lake canal) of the Mariinskaja water system. But in 1845 a new canal was built off the village Krokhino. The canal joined the Sheksna 9.5 km lower its origin. This adversely affected the life and development of Krokhino settlement. Krokhino lost its former significance.
But in the beginning of the 60-s of the 20th century Krokhino, Karlugino and other settlements of Belozerskiy district got into inundation zone at the time of construction of deep Volga-Baltic water way. The level of water in lake Beloye rose to guarantee depth for ships, and ancient villages and their whole history had gone underwater... The inhabitants of the inundated areas disassembled their houses and moved away. The churches only remained on the deserted land: the church of Nativity of Christ in Krokhino, more famous due to its location, and the church of Candlemas built in the end of the 18th century in Kovzha (at the fall of the Kovzha river into lake Beloye).
Short history information:
Extracts from Novgorod collection of 1865, edited by P. Bogoskovskiy.
The church of Nativity of Christ in Krokhino.
Parish of Nativity of Christ in Krokhino settlement consisted of two villages – Krokhino and Velikoselye. The first was donated to Ferapontov Belozerskiy monastery, another one was donated to Kirillo-Belozerskiy monastery. After commissioning of the connection between the Caspian sea and the Baltic sea through the Sheksna river and the Mariinskiy canal both villages received one name “Krokhino wharf”. In 1777 on the 4th of November according to the order of the Empress Catherine II the Krokhino wharf was named ‘settlement’. In 1788 on the left bank a stone two-storey church of Nativity of Christ with a campanile was built. A lower storey was a winter church, an upper double light storey was a summer church.
The church of Candlemas in Kovzhino.
The church of Candlemas in Kovzha with a village is located near the estuary of river Kovzha that flows into lake Beloye. The Kovzhino parish was known to be very needy until 1761. In 1761 the Kovzhino priests following their petition and pursuant to the order from the Vologda Ecclesiastical Consistory as of 30th of March under the No. 1986 received a plot of land sufficient for subsistence, in the amount of 15 tenths. The order hints at the fact that the priests of the Kovzhino parish received subsistence from the Nikolayevskiy monastery but after the latter was dissolved they had to turn to the authorities for help. Then until 1780, and namely for 19 years the history of the Kovzhino parish is unknown. A stone church is known to date back to 1780. From that moment the Kovzhino parish was independent. From the open sources of information we know that the church of Nativity of Christ was built in the baroque style (stone three-alter church with Nikolskiy and Peter-and-Paul chapels). In present time both churches are half-destroyed. The church of Nativity of Christ is more likely to collapse as it stands in water, and the church of Candlemas in Kovzha is located on the isle. In the result of drowning the southern wall of the church in Krokhino is more destroyed if compared with the northern wall. We should state that its destruction becomes irreparable every year, that is why we should take actions immediately! We can preserve these churches from greater destruction! The history of the church in photos see in photo gallery.
© 2009-2011 ã.